How We Make Change:
Durham's premier reusable + returnable takeout container service! Now beta testing...
Sustainable Food Truck Certification Program recognizes and promotes food trucks that commit to low-waste, sustainable practices.
Don’t Waste Durham’s Sustainable Food Truck certification program recognizes and promotes food trucks that commit to low-waste, sustainable practices. We help the trucks achieve and maintain 18 requirements, including connecting them with local resources that support sustainability and providing information and training to food trucks on how to save money and reduce waste.
The eighteen requirements for food trucks include using all reusable or compostable service-ware (though recyclable products are acceptable if reusable and compostable alternatives are not feasible), providing compost collection bins outside their trucks at all gigs, and ensuring that their compostables get commercially composted.
Perks for food trucks:
- Sustainability sticker to put on truck and certificate
- Increased marketability
- Priority access to event gigs and exclusive status in recommendation lists for event organizers
- Discounted wholesale prices on compostable serviceware from a reliable, local source.
- Technical assistance in achieving sustainability goals
- Connection to local resources that support sustainability
- Recognition and promotion of their business through Don't Waste Durham and our partner organizations
- To reduce overall amount of waste produced by food vendors and their customers
- To divert waste from Durham’s waste stream
- To promote local sustainability and waste reduction
- To save food trucks money and offer convenience in buying compostable serviceware
History of the program
Keep Durham Beautiful‘s Waste Warrior program was invaluable inspiration for the Sustainable Food Truck program! It was Waste Warriors’ concerns about food trucks’ serviceware that helped identify an important need: that food trucks themselves could benefit from training and recognition. Don’t Waste Durham thanks many of its members, sponsors, and partners for their contributions to this program: Keep Durham Beautiful, Durham Central Park, RDU Mobile Food Association, Food FWD, Compost Now, Fillaree, Bryant Holsenbeck, Muriel Williman, Fullsteam Brewery, Tilthy Rich Composting, and The Durham Originals.
This work is a community effort, so we welcome your thoughts and input. Contact email@example.com. Thank you for your interest!
Reducing Waste in Durham Schools
We work together with parents, teachers, school administrators, students, local businesses, and community members to adapt and replicate successful LUNCHROOM COMPOSTING programs in Durham Public Schools, implement the evidence-based practice of FOOD SHARING TABLES, and much more. We do this through community engagement and the power of people who care!