See our Sustainable Food Truck program in this Indy Week article (Oct. 3, 2016)!
Don’t Waste Durham’s Sustainable Food Truck certification program helps food trucks affordably grow in their commitment to sustainability, and it recognizes and promotes trucks that commit to low-waste, sustainable practices. To do this, the program connects food trucks to local resources that support sustainability, and it provides information and training to help restaurants and food trucks save money and reduce waste. Food trucks gain marketable sustainability certification and cool signage to show they are certified and to explain to customers what it means.
An important component of the program is an online buying portal where food trucks can purchase 100% certified compostable serviceware which are reviewed and approved by our composting partners. The portal gives food trucks a reliable local source to order their compostable cutlery, plates, cups, etc. at a lower cost. They can pick up locally or get affordable local delivery.
Goals and Objectives:
- To reduce overall amount of waste produced by food vendors and their customers
- To divert waste from Durham’s waste stream
- To promote local sustainability and waste reduction
- To save food trucks money and offer convenience in buying compostable serviceware
History of the program
Keep Durham Beautiful‘s Waste Warrior program was invaluable inspiration for the Sustainable Food Truck program! It was Waste Warriors’ concerns about food trucks’ serviceware that helped identify an important need: that food trucks themselves could benefit from training and recognition. Don’t Waste Durham thanks many of its members, sponsors, and partners for their contributions to this program: Keep Durham Beautiful, Durham Central Park, RDU Mobile Food Association, Food FWD, Compost Now, Fillaree, Bryant Holsenbeck, Muriel Williman, Fullsteam Brewery, Tilthy Rich Composting, and The Durham Originals.
Don’t Waste Durham provides:
- Technical assistance in achieving sustainability goals
- Connection to local resources that support sustainability
- Sustainability certification sticker and certificate for your truck(s) and business
- Recognition and promotion of your business through DWD and our partner organizations
- Access to online buying portal through our composting partners where food trucks can purchase 100% compostable, DWD-certified serviceware.
- Exclusive priority status in recommendation lists to event organizers
This work is a community effort, so we welcome your thoughts and input. Thank you for your interest!